Time never stops, it never takes a break, it never waits...it just keeps on tickin'. Today I watched our 5 year old, Cutler run all the way to school. Most of the time I feel he is getting so big, but today I couldn't believe how little he really still is. On his back was his bookbag that went from his neck all the way past his bottom. I realized that in an instant he would be bigger than I, and his bag would be filled with college books. The thought came to me as President Monson said,
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will--to your surprise--miss them profoundly."
Today I knew I would miss this time in my life. What a joy it is to raise our three children. I couldn't believe that today would pass, and one day I would forget what it felt like when he stood a block down the road and waved one more time while yelling, "Mom, I love you." or what joy it was when Kiley said goodbye to Rob...I believe she said it twice, "Bye Daddy, I love you." or the smile and hug Cole gave when I got up this morning. It all happened in one day, and it was a good day.
But I felt the frustrations of this stage of life when the kids got home and their socks and shoes, and bookbags were spread throughout the house. The laundry still is left unfinished, and the feeling of pregnancy sickness still creeps in and out all day long. Sometimes it is difficult to realize in the moment that this will pass, but so will the adventure of small children growing and constantly change.
The ancient Roman philosopher Horace admonished, “Whatever hour God has blessed you with, take it with grateful hand, nor postpone your joys from year to year, so that in whatever place you have been, you may say that you have lived happily.”
Merry Christmas 2025
10 months ago

3 comments:
Wow what a beautiful post. Thank you for reminding me about the little things in our lives that are precious and important. Children and family are definitely are joy that will be with us forever!!
I needed to hear that today. Thank you.
Oh, I can relate to this! You verbalized so well how I feel most days. It is so crazy how fast the kids grow up, and how much joy can be found in parenthood.
I love the family pictures! Rob is very talented! Where did you get Kiley's white sweater? I'm looking for one like that.
Post a Comment